Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Faster than a USB 2.0?

This article is quite technical.
So I have two external HDD. The HDD interface is SATA and till this morning they were connected to my notebook via USB 2.0.
If all this is not Turkish to you than you can proceed.
I reached a steady 16 MB/s sustained transfer rate, that, between me and you is not bad at all. Well, now I'm not sure of that anymore cos I bought this object on eBay:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
The transfer rate now is around 60 MB/s
Considering I paid €29,00 for that, it's been definitely worth it.
But the weird thing is that apparently is impossible to buy this adapter in Spain, not even online.
Here are the benchmarks:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
USB 2.0

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
SATA

Beside the difference in performances on top of the two images you can see that only the SATA one has a temperature that is cos HDD through USB does not deliver that information, whilst HDD through SATA does.

The object has not a precise brand, however I found out that the chip inside of the majority of these adapters are all developed by Silicon Image™, so in case you are going nuts looking for the drivers, here is the page to download them.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home